Programmed cell death 1 (PD-1) inhibitor and programmed death ligand 1 (PD-L1) inhibitor are therapeutic agents that inhibit binding together of these checkpoint proteins on immune cells, eventually preventing tumors to escape the host immune defense mechanism and control the disease progression. The first PD-1 inhibitor Opdivo developed by Merck Sharp and Dhome (MSD) entered the market in 2014. Jemperli from GSK is the latest market entrant in the segment.
The current market already has seven approved products in the U.S. and a large number of research activities are currently undergoing in this segment generating interest of commercial as well as academic research institutions. In the current period of precision medicine and providing targeted treatment, identification of target patient has become very important as well as complicated. With the emergence of diagnostic test identifying predictive biomarkers, the selection and administration of targeted treatment has become comparativlely conveninent and efficient.
PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitors market are majorly indicated for the treatment of advanced cases of different cancer indications. The PD-1/PDL-1 inibitor treatment has been found to be more effective in patients demonstrating certain level of predictive biomarkers such as PDL-1 expression. However, these tests are costly and treatment specific which poses a hinderance to smooth administration of these PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitors to larger set of patients.
Several players, such as MSD, Bristol Myers Squibb company (BMS), AstraZeneca Plc are among the leading companies actively pursuing research activities in maximizing the potential of PD-1/PDL-1 inhbitors. Companies in the Asia-Pacific region also have rich clinical pipeline and strategically pursuing research activities in this segment.
Within the research report, the segmentation has made on the basis of:
• Identified cancer indicattions (Non-small cell lung cancer, melanoma, breast cancer, hepatocellular carcinoma, colorectal cancer, and urothelial carcinoma), and
• The seven major markets (the U.S., the U.K., Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and Japan).
This segmentation highlights value propositions and business models useful for industry leaders and stakeholders. The research also comprises country-level analysis, go-to-market strategies of leading players, and future opportunities, among others, to detail the scope and provide a 360-coverage of the domain.
Demand – Drivers and Challenges
Some of the potential drivers identified by BIS Research includes:
• Increased Use of PD-1/PDL-1 Inhibitors in Multiple Sub-set of Cancer Indications
• Increase in PD-1/PDL-1 Inhibitor Based Combination Regimens
The market is expected to face some limitations too due to the following challenges:
• Immune-related Adverse Events Associated With PD-1/PDL-1 Inhibitor Treatment are a Cause of Concern
• Treatment Specific Biomarkers Assays Pose Hinderance to Smooth Adoption of PD-1/PDL-1 Inhibitor Treatment
There are seven product currently available in the market. The first entrant Keytruda drwas a significant share of the market followed by second entrant Opdivo. Imfinzi and Tecentriq also have their combined market share below 20%.
In terms of most promising indication for the application of PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitors, melanoma appears to be leading as highlighted by experts including data gathered from secondary research.
According to Tausif, Principal Analyst, BIS Research, “Global PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitor market is expected to grow further in the coming years as more and more research activities are being pursued toward bringing more and more cancer indications under the treatment purview of PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitors and other relevant strategies being worked-upon by involved companies to maximize the potential of these agents”.
Key Questions Answered in the Report
- What are PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitors?
- How have PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitors evolved over the years since their inception?
- What are the major market drivers, challenges, and opportunities in the global PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitors market?
- What are the potential indications being investigated for PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitors?
- What does the pipeline for the PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitors market look like?
- What are the key development strategies implemented by the major players in order to sustain them in the competitive market?
- What is the target patient pool for PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitors in promising cancer indications?
- How is the patient pool in each cancer indication expected to grow during the forecast period 2022-2032?
Get Free Sample Report – https://bisresearch.com/requestsample?id=1357type=download
The aim of this research study is to identify potential patients eligible to receive PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitor treatment. The report includes approved indications with PD-1/PDL-1 Inhibitors along with number of clinical trials being performed using PD-1/PDL-1 Inhibitor as primary treatment.
The USP of this report
The following can be seen as some of the USPs of the report:
· Epidemiology forecast, underlining estimated target patient population eligible to receive PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitor treatment
· Extensive competitive benchmarking of 14 key companies with their offerings in the global PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitor market
· A peek-into market dynamics of global PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitor market
The study also presents an in-depth analysis of the drivers, restraints, and opportunities of the market playing a significant role in major countries of North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific
BIS Related Studies
Global PD-1/PD-L1 Immunotherapy Market